By the year 2030, Millennials will amount to 75% of the total workforce.   With this reality approaching, it’s crucial for business owners to know how to motivate Millennials and find as well as develop the leaders of the future.

On The Small Business Radio Show this week, Chris Tuff, author of USA Today bestseller, “The Millennial Whisperer” discusses proven strategies for improving communication between Millennials and other workers on your teams.

Keys to Millennial Motivation

Research shows that Millennials view things differently that prior generations:

1. Work Flexibility: Companies need to let employees have the freedom to work more where and when they want. This is critical because work is now “always-on” and it can be done anywhere. Chris says this is the only way they can integrate life and work.

2. Freedom to Work: Micro-managing should be reduced as Millennials want more freedom to pursue the things that interest them including any side-hustle businesses. Chris points out that Facebook has a program called “Fuel” that supports this type of work.

3. Pats on the Back: Every small business needs to focus on this for Millennials since they are the generation that grew up with helicopter parents, participation trophies, and social media. According to Chris, public rewards and recognition are critical to them.

4. Truthfulness & Relationship: Chris believes that gone are the days where you can’t be friends with your boss. Millennials demand real connection and inspiration from their leaders. They want to know why they’re making the decisions that happen.

5. Company and Job Loyalty: Chris believes that job jumping is a much bigger issue with this generation than ones in the past and leaders must teach their employees that this is not always the case. Social media is one of the biggest culprits here. Chris says “we must stop comparing our insides to other people’s outsides”. His “70/30 rule” is accepting the fact that “30 percent of your job and life will just suck, but the other 70 percent should fire you up.” He also suggests that for Millennials, mindfulness and meditation will become more mainstream within organizations with an increased emphasis on mental health.

Listen to the entire interview at The Small Business Radio Show


This article, “How to Motivate Millennials at Your Small Business” was first published on Small Business Trends

View Original

IT Services for Small Businesses Greater Chicago Area

IT Services for Small Businesses on the Front Range in Colorado